Q:Hey Blue, just wanted to say I was thrilled to see you mention on twitter that you might be doing some drawings based on 'The Left Hand of Darkness.' I love when things I am a huge fan of (your art, that book) come together, I hope you'll post some of the resulting awesomeness :)
If you haven’t read any of Ursula LeGuin’s Hainish Cycle books, DO. She writes about the cultures of fictional planets with a richness and believability unmatched by any other writer.
The Left Hand of Darknessis one of the most well-known of her books because she makes real a culture that might seem too alien for most readers: a culture of androgynous humans whose planet is deep in an ice age. It’s one of my favorite books of all time.
I want to make time to do some illustrations based on this book - maybe some character designs or environmental designs. Here’s a sketch I did of the protagonist: Genly Ai, an alien visitor to a frozen world.
16 Notes/ Hide
- beatingthebinary reblogged this from bluedelliquanti and added:
- raemanzu likes this
- themanfromnantucket likes this
- snowsofapril likes this
- rock-out-with-your-spock-out likes this
- iwritesometimes likes this
- talesofthebermudatriangle likes this
- teantacles likes this
- space-aged likes this
- kiev4am said: Oh, that’s a wonderful image of Genly, thank you for posting! God, but I love this book so much. Le Guin is one of my favourite SF writers and favourite literary stylists of all time. Can’t wait to see more of your interpretations.
- kiev4am likes this
- panoramacarnival likes this
- marblemartin said: OH MY GOSH. YOUR GENLY INTERPRETATION IS SO WONDERFUL.
- marblemartin likes this
- bluedelliquanti posted this