Distinguishing characters through fashion: how Sailor Moon does it right.
OKAY, so I was wondering whether I could find some place that posted Sailor Moon screencaps or turnaround sheets so I could write about how it handles fashion, and it turns out there’s a website for exactly that. Tagged by character and everything. Perfect.
So let’s continue our discussion about fashion as character design! Here’s a narrative that has to balance a large, female-heavy cast and make sure they are identifiable at all times, especially since they aren’t in their trademark color-coded uniforms most of the time. How does Sailor Moon tackle fashion and make it work in service of their characters?
What’s particularly impressive is that the superheroes’ civilian clothes aren’t limited to a single color, the way you might see in, say, Power Rangers. (Could you imagine wearing yellow outfits every day for the rest of your life just because you’re the Yellow Ranger? Blugh.) Instead, Sailor Scouts are recognizable in their civilian clothes because each one has a distinct silhouette, style, and palette.
Sailor Moon’s civilian wear, for example, is overly childish and girly. She wears ribbons, bows, and overalls. Her clothes have cartoon mascots on them, particularly bunnies (a pun on her Japanese name, Usagi, which means “rabbit.”)They match her ditzy, immature personality.
Mercury’s modest skirts and pastel cardigans match her quiet, straight-laced character, while Mars wears shorter, sleeker, more ladylike outfits that reflects her more sassy (and bossy) personality. Venus is all about bright colors and loose, sporty dresses ‘cause she’s got such a peppy, can-do attitude.
Jupiter is easy to distinguish from the others just by being taller and more physically imposing. I love the way they handle Jupiter’s style because she’s portrayed as a gentle, feminine girl who is still undeniably “the muscle” of the group. Her clothes are girly (frills! pencil skirts!) but they’re cut to accentuate her fuller figure and keep her looking large and powerful. I love that.
A lot of the characters’ fashions work well in pairs to contrast and work off of each other. Mini-Moon’s pink, blue, and candy-stripe-red palette doesn’t pop quite so much until she’s juxtaposed with her friend Hotaru, who dresses in black and dull monochromes. What’s more, as their friendship grows, you can see Hotaru start accenting her dark outfits with a single bright color.
And, of course, Uranus and Neptune’s amazing butch/femme combo.
Look at those classy broads.
16034 Notes/ Hide
- bluebell5 likes this
- beloved-dreams likes this
- divisibleinvisible reblogged this from caustica
- emmykatt reblogged this from albinwonderland
- boletarian reblogged this from im-just-a-girl-who-likes-comedy
- pterodactyl-in-the-engine-room likes this
- littlefragrance likes this
- darksilverhawk likes this
- timeflashh likes this
- schrodingers--kat likes this
- scarfprincess reblogged this from wingull
- cerulean-bird reblogged this from frenchshrimp
- foreverdani0804 reblogged this from maniamoonrise
- foreverdani0804 likes this
- that-homosapian reblogged this from yandereweenie
- yandereweenie reblogged this from socialjusticekars
- marvouille likes this
- goodrasaurusrex reblogged this from albinwonderland
- madamemacadamia reblogged this from albinwonderland
- kittykeoko likes this
- silenthello1 reblogged this from albinwonderland
- maniamoonrise reblogged this from skyestan
- mermaidcarnival likes this
- jackriotwillards reblogged this from skyestan
- periwinkle-life likes this
- livinmokotory reblogged this from constantlyrambling
- toscanstars likes this
- memoriacromatica reblogged this from albinwonderland
- sweetraritea likes this
- theuprisingishere reblogged this from skyestan
- theuprisingishere likes this
- instantlyamanda likes this
- lestradesass likes this
- gabbywax480 likes this
- complete-and-utter-balderdash likes this
- complete-and-utter-balderdash reblogged this from deedidoo
- lemonsnatchers reblogged this from skyestan
- thatspacelava likes this
- sakuraocean reblogged this from skyestan
- trixeypixey likes this
- believe-in-chemistry likes this
- deedidoo reblogged this from skyestan
- misssaintan likes this
- skyestan reblogged this from agentvictoriahand
- adifferentkindofgrace reblogged this from writingfail
- im-just-a-girl-who-likes-comedy reblogged this from writingfail
- im-just-a-girl-who-likes-comedy likes this
- ltabbiemills reblogged this from albinwonderland
- whateverthehelliwant reblogged this from unverbosity